boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

4/4/05

Coffee shop philosophy...

The coffee shop I frequent here in St. Louis is across the street from a prestigious universtity (Washington University). So, my guess is that 70-80% of their customers are from Wash U or some other institution of higher education in the area. It's got a pretty cool atmosphere--sort of an outdoorsy, cabin-in-the-mountains type of vibe. I like to study there for the atmosphere, good caffeine, and (usually) good music they play through the sound system.

Maybe the most intriguing aspect of the cafe to me is that the walls in the bathrooms are made of chalkboards for which the management provides colored chalk. I like that they do this because it provides a welcome diversion while I'm TCB. I've read everything in there from vulgar poetry, to mathematical equations, to self-righteous political barbs. The two most common subjects are comments for or against Christianity and "enlightening" quotes from famous thinkers.

While I do appreciate the blog (that's bathroom-log [not to be confused with the other kind of bathroom-log]), it makes me curious about a few things:
1) What kind of person spends the extra time in a smelly bathroom to leave a message that only a few other people will read?
2) Does this person think about what he will write beforehand, or does inspiration strike him while TCB?
3) Does this person consider who else has touched the chalk and what he was doing immediately prior to doing so?

No comments:

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."