boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

4/14/05

Not so surprising...

Conan O'Brien is a comedic genius. Anyone who disputes this has, in my view, a severe lack of judgment. There are some, I know, who have not watched him in years because he began so badly. When he took over for David Letterman (more than 11 years ago), his show was probably one of the worst in television. I used to watch it once in a while just to see what would come out of the train wreck. Eventually, though, I quit watching. But, I started up again a few years later and noticed a difference immediately. Sometimes Conan can be a bit crude, but overall he is daring, edgy, smart, and plain funny. The skits and bits on his version of "Late Night" are classic: "Triumph the Insult Comic Dog"; "Actual Items"; "In the Year 2000"; and his visits to various off-set locations are among the best.

Anyway, I say all this to set up something that I believe you should read. You may not know that Conan is actually a graduate of Harvard. His major was something crazy like "the literature of Flannery O'Conner" or something obscure like that. Well, he gave the commencement address at Harvard's graduation a few years ago, and it is one of the funniest speeches ever. I thought about just posting the text here, but it is really long--and copyrighted--so I didn't want to hassle with it. But, here is a link . Please read it, especially if you are old enough to remember the 80's, but only if you are in a place where it will be socially acceptable to laugh out loud with snorts and guffaws.

2 comments:

W Sofield said...

Terrific, Nick. I read it to Katherine last night. She did not think it was as funny as I thought it was. Excellent. He would make a good preacher, I think.

Marel Lecone said...

Thanks for the link. H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S! I so love his show. Two of his best shows (for me) was when he had Sarah Jessica Parker and Tony Randall on his show. My point being--I don't remember anyone else's talk shows like I remember his. I also believe in his humility which I absolutely love. As for my husband, he totally does not get him. Him and I find things funny at different times.

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."