boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

5/31/05

Getting in shape...

Well, I've finally taken the plunge to try to get back into shape. I guess there have been a few times in the last couple of years when I've tried to get in shape. But, it's never stuck. I tried the cereal diet, a modified Atkin's diet, and we joined the YMCA. I think I lost a couple of pounds each time, but eventually I gave up and gained them back.
My latest effort includes the "raw diet". Wonder what that is? Well, I can only eat raw foods. Essentially, its a vegan diet minus the cooking. Some of you may know that my wife is a vegetarian (though not a vegan) and she joined me on the diet for a while but gave it up. She doesn't need to lose any weight anyway, she just wants to start exercising again. In its strictest form, I could never make it either. So, what I decided to do is begin very strictly in order to clean out my system and then slowly add some cooked food (like pasta) and even some meat. But, hopefully over several months I will be able to reestablish a sensible diet and cut out a lot of the super-processed food.
I'm also giving up on "working out". We're going to quit our membership at the Y because we never go and we're just wasting money. I think I've decided that artificial workouts don't agree with me. And, while I may want to pick up weight training again in the future, I'm going to focus on natural exercise. Basically, I'm just going to get active again. My favorite sports to play (that are accessible) are golf, Frisbee golf, and tennis--so I'm going to start playing them. And, I already have.
In the first week, I've lost about 7 pounds. I'm guessing that it was an initial burst after my body was shocked by once again moving about and being fed real food. So, the real test will be over the next few weeks when I average only small weight losses, or even gains if I should happen to regain some muscle. But, this time I'm actually motivated by the process and not just the goal. I'm excited to play sports and be active again; I was never excited to go swing my legs on the elliptical machine for 30 minutes. Oh, I might start running again too. I was a distance runner in high school and while I was never elite, I was quite good (personal bests 4:54 mile, 10:28 2-mile). The idea of hitting the pavement day after day isn't that appealing to me, but I always enjoyed road races. So, I might look ahead on the calendar for one to train for.
Well, I think it's quite certain this is my most uninteresting post ever. Sorry.

1 comment:

W Sofield said...

Sounds good, Nick. Sounds like you've got a good plan. Johnstonefitness.com helped me out quite a bit, now I am helping others there, too. I don't know if you'd be interested, but it's a great community in which to be educated and encouraged. I would not have lost 22 pounds and doubled my bench press in the last 4 months without that community and I'm getting healthier and stronger every week. But it's not for everyone, I suppose.

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."