boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

8/29/05

body clock...

If you noted the time of this post, then you may have wondered, "Why the heck wasn't he asleep?" If you did, you will not be the first one to ask it, because I have so myself. I mentioned before that I'm working at UPS this year. It's a good job. I don't think I mentioned that my shift runs from about 10:00 p.m. 'till about 3:00 a.m., Monday thru Friday (or, Saturday, depending on how you look at it). I've gotten into a pretty good routine during the week. I'm usually asleep by 4:00 a.m. and I get up between 11:00 a.m. and Noon. That leaves me a good five or six hours to do stuff (or nothing) until Suzanne gets home from work. Then, we get to hang out until I have to start getting ready for work at around 9:00 p.m. Even better, neither of us has homework to do anymore! The problem is, my body is totally screwed up on the weekend, because I try to force it back into a regular human's schedule of being awake during most of the daylight hours. Usually there is one night, however, that my mind and body refuse to shut down until 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning. Often it's Saturday, but--apparently--this weekend it's Sunday. The benefit is, I guess, I get to write this really fascinating post for you.

If you're like me, then you have some standard ways to while away the hours during an attack of insomnia.
  1. You read or blog or watch t.v.
  2. You just lay in bed and glance at the clock every thirty seconds thinking, "O.k., if I fall asleep in the next five minutes, then I'll still get 4 hours and 20 minutes of sleep until I planned to get up...(time passes)...O.k., if I fall asleep in the next five minutes, and I give myself an extra whack at the snooze button, I can still pull off 3 hours and 50 minutes of sleep..."
  3. You do #2 above, but also intermittently scream at yourself (inside your head) with all your might (but silently), "FALL ASLEEP YOU STUPID IDIOT! WHAT IS YOUR FREAKING PROBLEM! FALL ASLEEP! FALL ASLEEP!! FALL ASLEEP!!!"

None of those--especially the last two--have proven to be very successful. So, if you have any tips, I'd love to hear them.

1 comment:

W Sofield said...

What did you say in that post that tipped off the advertisers? Holy cow!

Sorry. I can't help much for falling asleep. I fall asleep pretty naturally. The trade-off is that I need at least 8 hours, 9 is better in order to function every day.

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."