boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

8/29/05

the road goes ever on and on...

There used to be this commercial for some ISP in which a guy was sitting at his computer and a message popped up saying he had come to the end of the internet. He relays this news to his wife and so on. Of course, the commercial ends happily when the couple switches to the ad's sponsor's ISP and they realize there are plenty more kilometers on the Information Superhighway for them to explore. For some reason, that commercial always amused me. If you were a fly on the wall in our house on Sundays after church, you would see my wife on the couch reading a book and me in my recliner watching the St. Louis Cardinals' baseball game and surfing the web. After playing a game of internet Scrabble, I'll check the usual websites and blogs I keep track of and then you (you are a fly on the wall, remember) will invariably hear me say, "Honey," (or "Sweetie," or some other term of endearment acceptable for play in Scattergories, though never "Dear," my wife hates that one) "I think I've come to the end of the internet."

In our household, we are preparing to switch to a new ISP as well, although that is not what inspired this post. Instead, I wanted to let you know, dear reader, that I've added a couple of links to the sidebar. As likely as not, you have paid no attention to those offramps since your first visit to my blog--perhaps not even then.

Under the "blogs" heading I've added Ascendance which I've visited several times and found interesting, though I make no endorsement of the content. Under the "movies" heading you will find Metaphilm, which I've only been to once but found it so intriguing I made an impulse link. And, under the "for reading" heading, the McSweeney's site is accessible, of which I knew about once but then forgot about but of which I have lately been reminded. As always, I reserve the right to begin to dislike or get bored with any particular site and remove it from the list (farewell Philosophical Dictionary).

There you are...and off you go...

1 comment:

Ascendantlive said...

Thanks for the link to my blog. And I'm enjoying the philosophical dictionary.

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."