boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

8/27/05

What I like, and don't...

I just wrote several paragraphs. Then I deleted them. I started off talking about how I really like Bandana's Bar-B-Q, a restaurant chain here in St. Louis. Suzanne and I ate there tonight. Then I started explaining what I good tipper I feel that I am. I said that so you wouldn't think I was a jerk when I started complaining about the bad service we got while we were there and how I get annoyed by bad service in general.

I deleted it all because my loathing for myself was growing steadily as I continued to write. There are a million possible reasons why the waitress didn't do the best job. Couldn't I have given her a little grace? I could have...but I didn't. As I saw what I was writing, I felt more and more like some crotchety old fogey complainer. I don't want to be one of those. If I ever let a post get through where I'm being one, please, call me on it.

So, let me conclude by saying: if you live in St. Louis, or plan to visit, eat a meal at Bandana's. You'll have great food and, most likely, great service.

2 comments:

jeremy said...

i love the bandana's. the only decent bbq in st. louis, in my opinion, and i grew up in memphis, so i think i have some palettic credentials.

W Sofield said...

good work, brother.

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."