boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

12/2/05

no sleep...

One of my favorite books is On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I've never actually read it; I listened to it on tape while I was on the road--8 hours each way to report back to my home church one weekend when I was in seminary. Legend has it that Kerouac wrote the epic generation-defining novel during one three-week stretch, fueled by amphetamines and coffee, typed upon one 120-foot roll of paper. I felt like beginning the same process last night because I couldn't sleep again (though, I'd trade the amphetamines for vanilla wafer cookies, and I don't have a typewriter). I even had some good writing started (well, it seemed good to me in a drowsy stupor). But, I gave the Sandman another shot around 7:30 a.m., and this time he did his job. Too bad I had to be up at 10 o'clock.

No comments:

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."