boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

12/3/05

Saturday Night Live...

I'm watching Saturday Night Live tonight; it's definitely the best episode of the year. It started out well with a pre-monologue paradoy of the NBC Christmas--er, excuse me, "holiday"--tree lighting special. Then there was a rather funny monologue. Since the host is apparently a stand-up comedian (I had never heard of him before and even now I can't remember his name), I suppose he should be able to handle it. Have you noticed that for the last several years, the monologue has been no such thing? There are always cast members "helping" out with it and sometimes they are more involved than the host. Anyway, after a good start, there have been a couple of funny fake commercials and some good skits. Weekend Update was decent, too. Although, the skit that just finished about a guy who was in a coma for one day fell a little flat. And, an earlier skit about two cashiers at Target that started out funny went on way too long.

As you can see, there are a number of qualifiers to "the best episode". But my designation is still able to stand, because this is the worst season of SNL since the late '90s. If you saw the episode earlier this year with Katherine Zeta-Jones hosting, you know what I'm talking about (as Comic-book Guy from "The Simpsons" would say, "Worst episode ever!"). The show always goes in cycles, so I'm sure it will rebound eventually. But it's just too bad, because a couple of years ago I distinctly remember discussing with a friend that the show had one of the best casts in years. And I think that most of the individual players on the show are really good. As far as I can tell, the main problem is that the writing hasn't created any skits that have punch to them. Though, there have been a number of really good fake commercials. Go figure.

1 comment:

W Sofield said...

I agree completely. Couldn't have said it better.

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."