boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

1/21/06

thorns and thistles...

The overriding depressing thought of my life right now is that I have to continue working at the job I'm in until at least July. I left an hourly worker position for a supervisory position a few months ago. I now dread going to work every day (well, every night), not because of what I actually do, but because there's about a 2 in 5 chance I'm going to be yelled at. It's a very stressful situation in a job that really shouldn't be that stressful. I mean, I'm committed to doing a good job in whatever job I have, but it's not like we're defusing bombs or performing emergency surgery. It's weird: when I worked as an hourly, I worked much harder for significantly less pay, but I was much more satisfied with my work.

I believe work is good. When people work they are being more human than when they are not--I mean as a general lifestyle, not from moment to moment. I believe God has created us for work and given work to us. Yet, I do think something happened when sin entered the world in that the possibility arose of a disconnect between our work and our sense of fulfillment from it. Scholars disagree whether God's curse of the "ground" indicates a curse associated with all work or just with the earth. But, experience tells me work in general is not the way it's supposed to be. I've have many very diverse jobs. Some I've enjoyed immensely, some I've tolerated, and some I've loathed. I don't think eternity will be like that. When Christ returns and sets the world aright, all His people will live out eternity in this renewed Earth and I believe we will all have work to do, because, as I said, work is good and we were made to do it. And, I don't even think we'll necessarily have never-ending success. Failure is not a sin. (For instance, to take an example from recreation instead of work, when I play Scrabble with Jeremy in the new Earth, I won't be angry or disappointed or jealous when he plays a bingo with his last 7 letters to pull out a come-from-behind victory. I'll be something else. I'm not sure exactly what--content maybe, happy for him maybe--because any feelings I have now and any anticipation of feelings I'll have then are too mixed up with sin.) But, I do believe we'll have never-ending fulfillment, and joy, and peace about whatever work we will do. I can't wait. Well, by God's grace I can.

In fact, in His grace, He has provided one silver lining to my work situations. Since my job is so so stressful, I can't sleep right away when I get home at about 3:30 a.m. Now, that may not sound good. But, it allows me to blogsurf and check my e-mail while watching the late night rerun of the Conan O'Brien show. I haven't been able to watch it regularly since starting my night job. But now I can. If you're not a regular watcher, I highly recommend it. One of the hilarious things he's been doing lately is campaigning for the re-election of the president of Finland. The reason for his support is about as sound as any I've heard for supporting a political candidate. He's been doing it for a few weeks, but I could only find one clip of it online. For your enjoyment, I've posted it below. Have fun.


2 comments:

jonponder said...

i feel ya on the job thing. I wish i could retire right now.


man, the next 35 are gonna be hell.

jonponder said...

...the next 35 YEARS, i mean.

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."