boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

2/1/06

some links...

I thought this was funny.

And this too (for NFL fans).

And, not so funny (I hope) is the launch of "Covenant Worldwide", which is an effort of Covenant Theological Seminary, from which I graduated, to provide high-quality, seminary level teaching to anyone with access to the internet--for free. Almonst twenty classes are currently available as mp3 audio files. The goal is to combine the availability of audio lectures with that of written transcriptions, as well as more reader-friendly versions of the transcriptions for those who don't have connections that facilitate the downloading of the large audio files. And eventually, the transcriptions will be translated into several different languages besides English.

My interest in this project is not merely due to the fact that Covenant is an alma mater of mine. I've been working with this project for the past several months. I've been editing the transcriptions for the class "God & His Word" (the only one with transcriptions so far). The first five lectures are complete and posted, and hopefully the remaining lectures will be finished over the next several weeks. So, if you check out the site linked above and download the .pfd files for the "God & His Word" lectures, that's my work you're seeing. It's been a slow, painstaking process, but I think I've really benefited from it. It's like taking the class over again for free--and REALLY paying attention this time!

I'm also excited because I think it is a really fitting endeavor for a seminary that is committed to the worldwide proclamation of the truth of the Gospel to offer this kind of information for free. Now, this kind of deep, sometimes technical, theological investigation and contemplation isn't for everybody, and it doesn't need to be. But, I expect that the demand for it far exceeds the number who are able to leave their current occupations/homes and move to St. Louis to obtain a degree, or even those who are able to utilize the seminary's formal extension program over the Web.

1 comment:

W Sofield said...

What a great resource. I'm downloading the Psalms and Wisdom Literature as I write this.

If you have any influence, I would suggest moving the column of mp3 links closer to the name of each lecture (which is a number). The columns are so far apart, mistakes are easily made -- I wanted to download lecture 14, but I downloaded lecture 15 instead -- does this make sense?

I guess there could be other ways of remedy, but basically, I am simply amazed that a resource this valuable is available online for free. Covenant Seminary is to be lauded.

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."