boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

2/14/06

Valentine thoughts...

I don't mind Valentine's Day, probably because I have someone to spend it with. We don't really make a big deal about the day (I think we're going to "celebrate" it this weekend). And I do think it's kind of a phony holiday. It's not worth all the fretting and frustration and heartache that many people (single, married, and in-between) experience because of cultural pressures imposed upon them. It is good, though, I guess, that since I don't consistently express my value and appreciation of and joy in my wife, there are opportunities at various times--birthdays, anniversaries, holidays (even phony ones)--to be prodded to make such an expression.

Years ago, I promised to write my wife a poem. That's one of many promises I've failed to live up to so far. If I was able to write something close to worthy of her, maybe it would be something like Shakespeare's Sonnet #75:

So are you to my thoughts as food to life,
Or as sweet-season'd showers are to the ground;
And for the peace of you I hold such strife
As 'twixt a miser and his wealth is found.
Now proud as an enjoyer, and anon
Doubting the filching age will steal his treasure;
Now counting best to be with you alone,
Then better'd that the world may see my pleasure:
Sometime all full with feasting on your sight,
And by and by clean starved for a look;
Possessing or pursuing no delight
Save what is had, or must from you be took.
Thus do I pine and surfeit day by day,
Or gluttoning on all, or all away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought this perhaps relevant:

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/feature/valentines-eve-special-how-to-avoid-sleeping-on-the-couch-tomorrow-night-154337.php

- Steve

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."