boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

5/8/06

Top 5...

Top 5 annoying celebrities:

  1. David Blaine
  2. Paris Hilton
  3. Paula Abdul
  4. Tom Cruise
  5. Jay Leno
This list was inspired by the recent re-entry into the American consciousness of David Blaine. I think he once billed himself as an illusionist. Now I've read him referred to as a "stunt-performer". It is not so much that I object to his existence, or even to his chosen profession, but rather that he imposes these two upon the rest of us through media-hyped "events" like his current one of remaining immersed in a tub of water for a number of days and tonight trying to break the record for holding his breath underwater the longest. While I long for him to just go away, when he does I'll still be left with the depressing awareness that he will be back in a few months with something even more annoying to metaphorically poop into our proverbial cultural toilet.

2 comments:

James McGarry said...

I know… I would live in a bubble for a few days if you asked me to. I don't understand why it's such a big deal. (1) He will have air. (2) He will have food. What is so great about that. I just don’t understand. He lived over a river in London for a month but there he had food and water also. So what he's board for a while. Why should I care?

W Sofield said...

A slightly longer list should include Britney Spears, JLo and Katie Couric. Others, too. Lemme think . . .

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."