boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

5/16/06

Top 5...

Top 5 famous people I would like to be friends with:

  1. Conan O'Brien (no contest for 1st position)
  2. Jack White
  3. Jack Black (#2 & 3 are interchangeable)
  4. Tiger Woods
  5. Regis Philbin
The problem with this list, of course, which I fully recognize, is that I don't really know these people in a way that could give me a reasonable sense about whether I actually would like to be friends with them. I know their personae, but I don't know them as persons. It would speak better of me if the five people I most wanted to be friends with were the five people around me that I was most aware needed friends, for then I would really be seeking to have friendships. As it is, wanting to be friends with famous people is not really about wanting to be friends with them, but about wanting what their friendships would do for me. And really (sadly), many of my actual friendships and relationships are surely based more upon that motive than I would like to admit. It will be nice when the Lord returns and finally burns away ALL the corruption in this heart of mine. I bet I will have some nice friendships with completely unexpected people. But as it is, this is the way I am, so there you go.

I was going to end my post there (...so there you go) when I realized that it was a very inadequate perspective. For a Christian, there can never be the resignation "this is the way I am". For the reality is that Christ's Spirit is ever working in me (in us) to make us more like Christ--in this case Christ who is the ultimate friend. I ought not simply wait for the last day for my heart and motives to be changed, although on that day the final blow will be levied against my sin, for He is at work now. And it is my calling to respond to His work by striving to live ever more as is befitting one who is being remade in His image. Thus it is now my responsibility to seek to be a better friend to those I have and to be one at all to those I don't yet. I guess my last comment in the previous paragraph was intended to convey the sentiment that although I would like to be different, I have no interest in hiding who I really am. Thankfully, God has promised to change who I really am.

All that said, let me say that if any of the five mentioned above happen to read this, I'm free to meet at Kayak's Coffee pretty much any time.

2 comments:

James said...

Nick...
Man, we really need to have a talk...

nickg said...

James,

any time bro--what's up?

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."