boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

7/22/06

storm...

If you live in St. Louis, you know about the storm we had a few days ago. If you don't live here, you probably heard about it. A brief but major thunderstorm swept through on Wednesday evening. Along with it was something called a gust front. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen. I've lived in tornado country all my life, and I've had several come very near to where I was. But this was not a tornado. It was about 45 to 90 seconds of super strong wind that just went through the area in a long line. We were fortunate. We just had a few branches break off from the big tree in our backyard. All throughout the city, though, there were thousands of people who suffered much worse. Huge trees were blown over. Hundreds of thousands of people lost power (many of them still won't have it 'till some time next week). And several areas were under a "boil order" for fear of contaminated water. We live in the South City area of St. Louis, which was almost completely without power. Somehow, we managed to be in a few square block section that was actually able to keep our electricity running. Below are a bunch of pictures that I took on Friday of only a fraction of the damage within just a few blocks of our house.


This sight was the first indication I had that the storm had done more than just bring down a few branches.

I'm not sure the picture above clearly shows how big this tree was. So I took a picture of the roots that were torn out. That is about a 12-15 foot wide chunk of earth.

I knew there would be some high branches, even big ones, that were torn by the wind. I could even accept the fact that a tree with a full spread of branches could be blown over. But I didn't expect so many trees like this one with thick trunks split right down the middle.

Here's another doozy--ripped right out of the ground.

That's gotta be a bummer.

1 comment:

W Sofield said...

Wow, glad you are safe.

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."