boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

7/11/06

suggestions, por favor...

In two weeks, actually nine days, I get to start my vacation. The plan was, during the week of July 24-28, I was going to rent a car and drive to Cooperstown, NY to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame. I'm a baseball fanatic, I love long road trips, and I've never been to New York before, so it seemed like the perfect plan. The fact that it looked like Suzanne would not be able to come also influenced the decision. She hates baseball, and is not a big fan of road trips. So, this was going to be my chance to do something I'd want to do without making her miserable along the way.

The thing is, Suzanne might be able to go with after all (which is a good thing). So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions on somewhere we can vacation. Here are the parameters:
  • It must include a fairly lengthy road trip from our home in St. Louis, but probably not more than 20 hours. If it's totally worth it, I'd consider something farther away.
  • It should have a cool final destination or something fun or interesting or original to do there. It doesn't have to be a standard vacation destination. If you have an idiosyncratic affinity for some spot, let me know about it.
  • It should take me to--or at least through--some state I have never been to before. The states I have never been to that I think might be within 20 hours of driving are: North Dakota, Montana, Wisconson, Michigan, Ohio, Louisiana, South Carolina, North Carolina, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and any of the other states in the upper northeast, although I think most of them are too far away. I think I've driven through part of some of those states, but it wasn't memorable if I did.
I guess that'll do. We may end up just going to Cooperstown. Or, I may end up going on my own after all. In any case, I plan to take my camera and computer and thorougly document the entire trip. Thanks for the help if you have any ideas.

1 comment:

Craig Dunham said...

I don't really have any vacation suggestions, but if you're looking for a fellow baseball fanatic (baseball, not necessarily only Cardinals baseball), let me know.

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."