boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

7/21/06

vacation update...

Walking out of work this morning, I couldn't help but smile. I have tomorrow (actually, tonight) off and then I'm on vacation next week. I don't have to think about that place for 10 days. Yes!

Even better, after thoughts about possibly canceling the vacation road trip over budgetary concerns, the birthday money started to roll in, so it's back on. And it's official, we're headed to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY. Suzanne gets to come with after all, but she's generously urged me to keep my plans to visit that hallowed ground. In order to save on lodging expenses, we've borrowed a tent from a friend, and we have reservations to stay one night in Dillion State Park, in Ohio, and then two nights in Glimmerglass State Park, outside of Cooperstown. This way, when I spend an entire day in the museum, Suzanne can relax on the beach of the lake and read a book or knit or swim or whatever. Then on the way home, we'll stop in Chicago to stay for a night or two with my aunt and uncle (which reminds me, I should call and let them know that).

I love road trips. I love watching the scenery race by. I love crossing state borders. I love truck stops and fast food restaurants. I love listening to books on CD. And I love "the charging restless mute unvoiced road keening in a seizure of tarpaulin power." I'm not exactly sure what that means but it's from Jack Kerouac in "On the Road," which was the best book on CD I ever listened to on a road trip. I highly suggest it.

Well, I gotta go to bed. Lots of errands to do before we go out of town.

1 comment:

W Sofield said...

Sounds like fun.

Looking forward to reports.

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."