boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

8/12/06

free at last, free at last, (well, almost)...

Even though I'm running on about 45 minutes of sleep today, I'm feeling pretty good. Last night after my shift at work I gave my boss my official two weeks notice that I'm quitting. Actualy, I'll be leaving in three weeks, but just knowing there's an end in sight fills me with joyous anticipation. Since I'm a people-pleaser at heart, I hate that kind of confrontation of telling someone something I know she doesn't want to hear. But, it wasn't so bad. I told my boss I was leaving and I could tell she was disappointed, but she understood why I was leaving. As I was talking to her, she told my old boss from when I worked in a different department that I was leaving and at first she--my old boss--feigned anger, but she too gave me well-wishes. I could tell that they were a little bit envious of me leaving. I think my boss was most glad that I gave some notice, rather than telling her the day before, or just not showing up one day. That's the way things work around there; it's really common with hourly workers and not unheard of with supervisors like me. It's kind of weird that everyone hates it there, even the people like my bosses who have the ability to change how it works. But they don't, so the cycle just continues.

It's Suzanne's new job that allows me to quit mine, since she now gets full benefits, which was the main reason I kept my job. But providentially, things are really starting to fall in place for us. Right now I work during the day about 10 hours per week for Covenant Seminary editing class lecture transcripts for their Covenant Worldwide program. Last week I got word that I'll be able to increase my hours to between 20-30, whatever I'm able to handle as school starts up for me in a few weeks. That will allow me to work from home and set my own hours, which is great because once we have a foster child placed with us we won't have to put him or her in daycare. That will save us all kinds of money and hassle, not to mention the benefit of all the extra time to nurture and bond with the child.

Besides not being there, here are the top 5 things I'm going to be glad about once I quit my job:

  1. sleeping at night / going to be with my wife: besides being more biologically natural to sleep at night, and emotionally satisfying to be with Suzanne more, a friend of mine who recently quit working at the same job put it well, "There are benefits to being able to go to bed with your wife"
  2. not shaving: as supervisors we are required to be clean shaven every day; if you looked closely at my vacation photos you'd notice that my face got progressively scruffier as the week went on and I'm looking forward to being able to give my razor another long rest
  3. being able to do things with my wife and friends in the evenings like a normal person
  4. not having bruises all over my body: no, there's not a "work bully" who beats me up for my soda money every day, but there're always boxes falling on me, or places for my fingers to get pinched in, or objects for my knees, legs, and arms to bump into
  5. being able to watch Conan O'Brien on a regular basis

5 comments:

W Sofield said...

So glad to hear this. I'm sure you'll enjoy it more.

I feel unable to express adequately my feeling of "That's awesome, this will be so good for you."

Anonymous said...

What job did you quit?

Oh, by the way, Conan sucks. He isn't even the least bit funny.

Suzanne said...

anonymous-
is that you Chuck??

W Sofield said...

anonymous-
is that you Conan??

nickg said...

As much as I might like to think Conan reads my blog, my suspicion is that anonymous is either Chuck or someone else not Conan.

I'm quitting my job at as a supervisor at UPS, where I worked the night shift.

As I mentioned in my post that everyone hates it there, it's interesting to note that tonight the supervisor that runs the area right next to mine walked out halfway through the night. No notice or anything, just walked out. There are systemic problems with that place.

BTW--anonymous, while I support everyone's right to their own opinion, it is actually a matter of fact, not opinion, that Conan doesn't suck, he's hilarious.

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."