boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

8/5/06

not so big sale...

Apparently there is a sales-tax holiday in Missouri and other states this weekend. I've seen adds all over the place informing me of this "sale" as though I won't be able to resist this enticement to spending. Now, if I do happen to buy something this weekend, I'm not going to insist on paying the sales tax. And, I'm sure that it's helpful for those who are doing back-to-school shopping, especially those on tight budgets. But all that said, is a sales-tax holiday really that big of a deal? I think the sales tax in Missouri is about 5.5%. Would anyone really be impressed if their favorite department store advertised a sale with savings up to 5.5%? Maybe if you're buying something big like a car, it adds up enough to be a deal. But if I want to go to Borders and buy a book that's $25, it just means I'll pay $25 instead of $26.38 (and it might be more like $25.75 if the 3% local sales tax is still charged, which I'm not sure about). Like I said, I'm not going to turn down $1.38, but I'd probably spend that much in gas driving to my nearest Borders.

No comments:

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."