boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

9/21/06

SNL mid-week update...

I foresee rough waters ahead for Saturday Night Live this season. I've written before that SNL is a cyclical phenomenon. It invariably works its way through good seasons and bad as the casts and writers are changed and get used to each other and eventually gel. Well, last year was already one of the lowest points on the show for a while. And we all knew that it was losing head writer and Weekend Update anchor Tina Fey (to work on her sitcom for NBC, which I'm looking forward to). That was already going to be a big loss. Now, according to this report, SNL is letting go of Chris Parnell and Horatio Sanz who were two of the reasons to watch the show in my view. They're also letting Finesse Mitchell go, but I never really got on board with him so I'm not too broken up about it. But Parnell was one of the most versatile players. And not only was Sanz outright hilarious, he was also an important sketch writer. Apparently this means that Darrell Hammond is still in the mix. I'd just as soon let him go with Mitchell and keep the rest. Hammon has pretty much worn out his welcome for me (he's the longest running player ever) and most of his impressions and other appearances on the show feel like they're just mailed in. Oh well, I guess it's going to be another year or two before SNL hits the high side of the cycle.

2 comments:

Steve said...

I heard this on the radio this morning when I was waking up. Chris Parnell is a definite loss. Case in point is the hit SNL digital short he did with newcomer Andy Samberg, "Lazy Sunday". I'm a little mixed about Horatio Sanz. He always seemed to be either flubbing his lines or holding back laughter in the middle of a sketch. Of course, if he was one of the major writers behind the scenes, then his leaving could be a big problem. On the other hand, a shake up amongst the writers could bring in some fresh, funny material.

W Sofield said...

Good observations. I like Finesse, I think he'll be a big loss.

I think there is a lot of potential for several of the newer cast members. They need to find their spots, but I like Kristen Wiig a lot. Andy Samberg and Bill Hader are doing pretty well already. Jason Sudeikis has big potential, too, I think. Did I see him on season premier of the Office last night? I think so.

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."