boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

12/15/06

links and thoughts on stuff...

Okay, I'm just going to spew forth on a bunch of stuff that has come to mind recently.

First, I'll point out some matters internal to the blog. I've added a bunch of new links to the sidebar lately, some of which I've mentioned, but one of my favorites that I haven't mentioned yet is The Nietzsche Family Circus. What you'll find there is a random pairing of a Family Circus cartoon with a quote by Friedrich Nietzsche. Why would someone do that? I don't know. Why wouldn't they?

Secondly, my Conan O'Brien obsession continues as I've given him a whole section in the sidebar. The one site in particular that I'll point out is Hornymanatee.com. If you don't know what that's about, then you need to watch his show more often--but in lieu of that, here's a story that explains the site's origins.

On to other matters...Gracie, our foster-daughter, is really growing and she's now 3 months old. She is really fun--smiling all the time, looking inquisitively at things, making sounds. But it still takes a lot of patience and fortitude to take care of a baby. For the first several weeks of life, a baby's poop doesn't smell all that bad (or, I should say, all that strongly). Apparently, at about 10 or 11 weeks, things change--big time. And, you have to be willing to be covered in baby puke most of the time. But it's still worth it, still a blessing.

I read somewhere that some Christian group is "offended" because of the release of a horror movie called "Black Christmas." I really wish we could stop being "offended" at every little thing that people do that we don't like. I mean, I wish everyone could stop, but at least Christians ought to stop. It's one thing to advocate for the freedom to express and practice our faith. And it's a wonderful blessing that the U.S. still provides us that freedom. But it's another thing to whine to the media about every little thing that non-Christians do that you deem to be unChristian. What do you expect? (1 Corinthians 2:14). I just wish Christians had some measure of perspective to realize that the comfortable position of the church in our country for the past two centuries was an historical anomaly. It's an anomaly in the world right now. Maybe, instead of worrying about what bad movies are going to be released, the American church should be worrying about, and working for, our brother and sister Christians whose churches are being shut down in China or who are being slaughtered in Sudan.

I'm not much of a tech-head, but I thought this article on "What code doesn't do in real life (that it does in the movies)" was pretty funny. So, if you are a tech-head, maybe you'll really enjoy it. It's so ridiculous when characters in movies or t.v. do things just because it's the only way to complicate the plot. For example, since we've had cable I've caught up on a lot of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and it's so common for people (or aliens) to make the dumbest possible decisions, for which the only conceivable rationale is to make the conflict last 55 minutes, instead of 5 minutes. This is different than asking for a willing suspension of disbelief. I'm totally willing to accept that in the future people will explore the galaxy in peaceful fraternity with aliens (even though I don't actually believe in intelligent life on other planets). But they should still know that when you visit a planet and interact with it's inhabitants for the first time, you should not allow one of your kids to go off with their planet's kids unsupervised. I guess the article about "code" is really the opposite phenomenon--it's something in a movie to make things easier. But it made me think of this Star Trek thing. And while I'm on the subject, another thing that irritates me about Star Trek is that they often make references to our contemporary society and refer to it as coming from "ancient earth." For example, someone might say that singing the "Happy Birthday Song" is an "ancient earth custom." The problem is, the show is set like 350 years in the future. Do you refer to events of the 1600's as occurring in "ancient times?" Of course not. So why would people start doing that in the future? Okay sorry, all that was interesting to like 3 people (and even to them, only mildly so). But I love that show.

Here's something you won't expect: of these three shows--The Simpsons, King of the Hill, and Futurama--Futurama is the funniest.

Clint Eastwood was on David Letterman tonight. If I was stranded on a desert island, with a t.v. and DVD player, and I could only have the film library of one person, I would really be torn between Clint Eastwood and Woody Allen. I guess I'd want Eastwood's movies, because when you're stranded on a desert island you don't want to be constantly questioning whether life has meaning or purpose or value. But you get my point; they've created two of the best collections of movies out there.


Speaking of movies, Will Ferrell's "Stranger than Fiction" was really, really good. It was really entertaining and really thoughtful and thought-provoking. In fact, it really deserves a full review in its own post, which I might yet write. So I'll just say, you really should go see it if you haven't. (I used the word "really" seven times in this paragraph.)

Okay, you're all sick of me by now. I'm done. Take care.

2 comments:

W Sofield said...

I especially like your comments on the easily-offended Christians.

I think people confuse two categories which ought to be separate: 1. Statements which offend me. 2. Statements with which I disagree (even strongly).

nickg said...

good distinction

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."