boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

1/12/07

TBR challenge 2007...

This challenge is related to my tolle lege plan for 2007, but is more specific. The idea is to read one book in each month of 2007 from your "To Be Read" (TBR) pile, and they should be books that have been on hold in TBR status for at least 6 months. I found out about this challenge here, and you can find out how to join in here. Suzanne has already committed to joining, and I'll post her list when she gives it to me. My list is below. It would be fun if a bunch of people I know decide to do this. If you join, leave your list in the comments or just put in a link to your blog post.

1.) Jerome: His Life, Writings, and Controversies, by J.N.D. Kelly (completed: 01/30/07)
2.) Far as the Curse is Found, by Michael Williams
3.) Baudolino, by Umberto Eco
4.) Longing to Know, by Esther Meek
5.) City of God, by St. Augustine
6.) On Literature, by Umberto Eco
7.) Story as Torah, by Gordon Wenham (completed: 02/27/07)
8.) Narrative Art in the Bible, by Shimon Bar-Efrat
9.) Ancient-Future Faith, by Robert Webber
10.) The Eyre Affair, by Jasper Fforde
11.) Me Talk Pretty One Day, by David Sedaris (completed: 03/23/07)
12.) The Lord's Service, by Jeffrey Meyers

Update: Suzanne's list is below:
1. From the mixed-up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler / E. L. Konigsburg (completed: 01/16/07)
2. Baudolino / Umberto Eco
3. The chocolate war / Robert Cormie
4. Rebecca / Daphne du Maurier
5. The Greek coffin mystery / Ellery Queen
6. Gulliver's travels / Jonathan Swift
7. The Perfect murder : five great mystery writers create the perfect crime / Jack Hitt
8. Dandelion wine / Ray Bradbury
9. Silver pigs / Lindsey Davis
10. Death of a mystery writer / Robert Barnard
11. Three men in a boat, to say nothing of the dog!/ Jerome K. Jerome
12. Vanity fair / William Makepeace Thackery

Here is my alternative list. I'm a little nervous about Vanity Fair. An 800 page novel without a hero might be a little too intense for me. If so, here are my back ups:

1. We have always lived in the castle / Shirley Jackson (completed: 02/17/07)
2. Girl sleuth : Nancy Drew and the women who created her / Melanie Rehak

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

I'm so happy that you're finally reading a Jasper Fforde book! I can't wait for you to fall in love with his stuff!

Agkyra said...

That's a great plan. I'm a slow reader and I don't have the patience to read very much at a time, so I'm trying to discipline myself to read a whole book in, say, one Saturday. Right now I'm slogging through Eusebius' Ecclesiastical History, which is small but has taken me nearly a week. I have about 40 pages left to read today, and I'm dreading it. On the other hand, I read Neill's and Wright's History of New Testament Research, 1860-1986 (or similar date range) in two days and Baur's Orthodoxy and Heresy in Earliest Christianity also in just two days. I read those two on vacation in Florida over Christmas, so I had absolutely nothing else to do, which helped a lot. I hope the start of a new semester on Tuesday won't dash my plan to pieces. Good luck to you!

nickg said...

Agkyra,

I'm a slow reader too. But more than that, I'm lazy and easily distractable. That's why I'm trying to have a plan for reading this year. I don't think I could read Eusebius or Baur in a day, though!

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."