boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

2/13/07

movies: 2007...

Basically, this post is the same idea as my books post, but for movies. My goal for the year is to watch at least 2 current movies and 1 "classic" movie per month, with the definitions for both of those categories being at my discretion. As with the books, I'll put the most recently watched and reviewed movies at the top of the post.

Idiocracy, 02/12/07, (Quality, 2.5; Enjoyment, 4) I wrote the heading for this post on the first of the year. Obviously, I'm going to have to do some serious movie watching to catch up with my goal. It's totally ridiculous that I didn't watch a new movie this year until February 12! Oh well, enough whining.

Suzanne would say that, after not watching a movie all year, it's totally ridiculous that Idiocracy was the first movie we'd watch. I don't think she hated it, but she wasn't a big fan. I, however, was a fan of this movie written and directed by Mike Judge, the creator of Beavis & Butt-Head and King of the Hill. In the same vein as those shows, Idiocracy was a satirical take on the current state of our culture. I can see why someone might not like the movie. It's basically the same joke for an hour and a half. But, I thought it was a good joke, so I kept laughing.

The movie stars Luke Wilson, who is same character in every one of his movies, but he's a character I like, so I don't mind. Wilson plays the most average man in America who, as part of a military experiment, is put into hibernation for 500 years. When he wakes up, due to the steady degredation of society, he finds he is the smartest man in the world. There's a good scene early on in which one of the Wilson's military superiors tells him that when he's told to "lead, follow, or get out of the way," it's supposed to shame him into leading, or at least following. But Wilson says he's always been happy just getting out of the way. Well, 500 years later, he finds out the consequences of a whole society that has been happy to get out of the way.

I laughed a lot throughout this movie. And there was a lot that was really true in Judge's take on our culture. That said, it was hyperbolic to the extreme, but that's often the case with satire. For those concerned about such things, there was a lot of crude humor, bad language, and other unseemly aspects to the movie. I'd say it's not for everyone. But if you're a Mike Judge fan, it's worth a rental.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude...you crack me up!! You are going to watch 2 "current" movies and 1 "classic" movie, with the defination of both categories at your discretion?? LOL..why don't you just say you'll watch three movies a month then and save us some time reading?

Yes..enough whining..I agree.

"Crude humor, bad language, and other unseemly aspects..."...would you recommend this movie for Christians?

nickg said...

Anon,

It's my blog; I can be as wordy as I want.

As far as a recommendation, I said, "It's not for everyone. But if you're a Mike Judge fan, it's worth a rental." Look at it this way: Would I recommend the Bible for Christians? It too has crude humor, bad language, and other unseemly aspects.

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."