boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

3/16/07

hard not to fear...

Over the last few weeks a number of my friends have encountered some really difficult circumstances. Some of their situations are caused by the sin of others, some by their own sin, and some just by living in a broken world where things are not the way they are supposed to be. The most urgent situation fits into that last category. Amelia Allen, the four-month old daughter of my friends Steve & Jen Allen, was diagnosed with leukemia yesterday. The link there will give a summary of her story and some ways to help. I've known Steve & Jen since college, and I'm very sad for them. Little Amelia was baptized in our church last Sunday, which was an occasion for much joy. Now that joy seems far away, but I pray that our God will draw Steve, Jen, and Amelia close to Himself and be gracious to them all. Though it is hard not to fear for Amelia, God tells us not to fear because He is so faithful and committed to His people. In fact, during the service on Sunday in which Amelia was baptized, Steve & Jen specifically requested that the following passage of Scripture be read. I am praying for Steve, Jen, and Amelia to have these promises realized in their life.

Isaiah 43:1-7
But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel:

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.

For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.

I give Egypt as your ransom, Cush and Seba in exchange for you. Because you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you, I give men in return for you, peoples in exchange for your life.

Fear not, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, and from the west I will gather you. I will say to the north, 'Give up,' and to the south, 'Do not withhold; bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the end of the earth, everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.'"

1 comment:

W Sofield said...

Our prayers are also with little Amelia.

Isaiah 43 is on of my favorites. I've had occassion to speak on it many times recently.

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."