boon-dog-gle: (noun) work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy.
free: (adjective) provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment.

6/10/07

Zion Church, Lincoln, NE...

Suzanne and I were shocked and saddened when we learned that our old home church in Lincoln, Zion Church, was destroyed in a fire this morning (remarkable pictures are at that last link). As far as I know, nobody was hurt in the fire. But the building was a beautiful, old, historic building built by German immigrants in the 1920's, in a great neighborhood just south of downtown Lincoln. At this point, it seems that the building will be lost.

We are grieved for and with the Zion congregation. Even though I am an elder at our church here in St. Louis, sometimes I still think of Zion as our "home church." Our first visit to Zion was January 2, 2000, only a day after Suzanne and I became engaged to be married. It was our first home church, and the first church in which we were nurtured in the Reformed faith. Much of my growth as a Christian, and much of the trajectory of my course in ministry was shaped by the ministry I received from the pastors, elders, and others of Zion.

I'm praying for the Father to comfort His children in their our grief. I'm praying that despite the loss of a church building, Christ will build His Church as He promised. And I'm praying that during this time when Zion will be forced to turn to the Lord in dependence, they will see the Holy Spirit work mightily to expand God's kingdom in Lincoln.

And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen. (1 Peter 5:10-11)


Update: picures here and here (via), and two firefighters were injured, but are expected to recover

No comments:

G.K. Chesterton...

"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."